Homemade Southern Cornbread Dressing Recipe
- 1 cup self-rising cornmeal
- ½ cup self-rising flour
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tablespoon vegetable oil
SOUTHERN DRESSING RECIPE
- Cornbread (9x9 inch pan) (my grandmother always uses day old cornbread)
- 1 cup onions, diced (about half of a large onion)
- 1 cup of celery, diced (about 3 stalks)
- 1 cup of green bell peppers diced (about 1 medium green bell pepper. You could also add in some red bell pepper as well if you'd like)
- 3 pieces of toast
- 1 cooked chicken breast or cooked chicken thighs, shredded
- 2 eggs
- 3-4 cups of chicken or turkey broth
- Seasonings (poultry seasonings, sage, black pepper, )
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- First let's make the cornbread!
- In a bowl, stir together the cornmeal & flour.
- Stir in the buttermilk, eggs & oil.
- Pour into a greased, 9 x9 baking dish.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until done.
- Let cool.
- Now let's put together the dressing!
- Break up the cornbread and toast in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, sauté onions, celery and green bell peppers in a little bit of butter until tender.
- Add the sautéed veggies and the cooked shredded chicken into the cornbread mixture.
- Stir together to combine.
- Add in the broth a little at a time. Add in just enough to make it thick & a little soupy.
- Stir in a teaspoon of poultry seasoning, sage, and black pepper. I usually start with a teaspoon of each and add more to suite my taste. ( Since my broth is pretty salt I don't add salt)
- Give it a taste. It should taste exactly the way you want your dressing to taste like.
- When you are content with the taste, go ahead and stir in the eggs.
- Pour into a buttered 9 X 13 casserole pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until set. Enjoy !